3 cups of Port wine
1 Lamb Shoulder or Thigh
- Trim fat and use for stock
Homemade Stock (make one day ahead):
- 2 carrots & celery
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup each- leek and fennel
- 5- cloves of garlic
- 6 juniper berries & whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- All fat from lamb trimmings
- 4 cups water
Roasted Tomato Fennel Olive Tapenade for Lamb Rub:
- 2-cups green olives/ pitted
- 10-garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp lemon peel or zest
- 1/2 cup each fennel & leek
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- zip blend (Spice Hunter)
- lemon pepper (Spice Hunter)
- Rub the lamb with 1/2 the tapenade and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Use the second half of the tapenade for the last 30 minutes of cooking for more flavor.
- Bring all homemade stock ingredients to boil and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- In another pot begin reducing 3 cups of port wine and then slowly add the strained stock into the port reduction. The other half of the port reduction can be used to drizzle over the lamb.
- Then in a hotel pan add stock reduction and lamb to slow cook at 275 for 3 hours & 250 degrees for another 2-3 hours.
- As the lamb is slow cooking, baste every 45 minutes and flip lamb 2-3 times.
- In the last 30 minutes use the second 1/2 of the rub.