- 4 tbsp + 1tsp butter, melted & divided
- 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 2-1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 -1 cup red wine (preferably Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 3/4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- 3 Cornish game hens, halved lengthwise, backbones removed.
Sauce (can be made up to one day ahead):
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and 1/2 tablespoon thyme. Saute approximately 5 min.
- Add red wine and sugar.
- Bring to boil for about 4 minutes.
- Add blackberries and broth. Boil until it reduces to 1 1/2 cups.
- Stir frequently (10 minutes)- strain and discard solids.
- Mix flour and 1 teaspoon melted butter in a small bowl.
- Bring sauce to simmer. Gradually whisk in butter mixture. Simmer until thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Brush baking sheet with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Brush hens with 2 tablespoons butter, sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast about 35 minutes.
- Bring sauce to simmer and slice and plate hens.
- Drizzle sauce around hens.