INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6)
- Unsalted Butter (6 Tbsp)
- Onions, Diced (2 large)
- Salt (1/2- tsp)
- Ground Pepper (1/2- tsp)
- Mushrooms (1 lbs)
- Marjoram, Freshly Chopped (2Tbsp)
- Quail, Boneless (12 each)
- Bottled Grape Leaves, Rinsed and Dried (24 leaves)
- Pancetta (12 Strips)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a small sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft about 10 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a second sauté pan over skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release some of their juices, about five minutes. Add the onions and the marjoram to the pan and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Season the mixture with additional salt and pepper to taste. Let stand until completely cooled.
- Spoon the cooled stuffing into the cavities of the quail. Wrap the quail in the grape leaves and then in pancetta. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat a grill or broiler. Grill or broil the quail until medium rare about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove toothpicks and place 2 quail on each of the 6 serving plates. Serve with soft polenta sprinkled with smoked mozzarella and grilled vegetables.