Recipe: Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding
SUNSTONE 2018 CABERNET SAUVIGNON, SBC
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 12)
- Brioche Raisin Bread or Homemade Blueberry Bread, thick slices (14- slices)
- 75%+ Dark Chocolate, chopped (10 ounces)
- Coconut Cream (1 can -13oz)
- Oat Milk (1-cup)
- Ground Cloves (1/4- tsp)
- Grated Nutmeg (1-tsp)
- Cinnamon Ground (1-Tbsp)
- Bourbon or Brandy (½- cup)
- Orange Zest + Juice (1 small orange)
- Unsalted Butter, room temp or softened (1- cup)
- Maple Syrup (1/2- cup)
- Coconut Sugar (3/4- cup)
- Eggs (4- each)
- Egg Yolks (3- each)
- Blueberries (1-2 pints depending on preference)
- Preheat oven to 375F, and spray coconut oil in glass or ceramic 8-inch rectangle dish. Line with parchment and spray parchment.
- Cut bread and layer in baking dish, crisscross the layers of bread, spread or add chucks of ¾ cup room temperature butter between bread. Set aside.
- Add chopped chocolate into bowl with ¼ cup butter, place bowl over a pan of boiling water to melt chocolate and butter, like a bain-marie. Stir until melted and to prevent separation of the cocoa butter/ chocolate about 3-4 minutes.
- In saucepan, heat coconut cream, oat milk, bourbon/ brandy, cloves, orange zest + juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg bring to simmer and turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, in mixing bowl or kitchen aid mix eggs, yolks, maple syrup, coconut sugar and mix well. Fold in the melted chocolate.
- Pour ½ of the egg/chocolate mixture into another glass bowl and slowly stir in the warm coconut/oat milk liquid, keep whisking slowly for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of the egg/chocolate mixture and repeat. Let mixture cool for 5-8 minutes.
- Add blueberries, chocolate chips (optional), finely shredded coconut (optional), crushed candied pecans (optional) over the layers of bread. Then pour the milk, egg, chocolate mixture over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with orange bourbon maple butter and or vanilla bean coconut milk ice cream.
Recipe bY: SUNSTONE WINEMAKER BRITTANY RICE