Recipe: Queso Frito (Fried Cheese)
SUNSTONE 2019 SAUVIGNON BLANC
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6-8)
- Manchego Cheese (7- oz)
- White breadcrumbs (1- Cup)
- Dried Thyme (1- tsp)
- Large Egg (1 each)
- Olive oil
- De-rind the cheese, then cut it into 16 wedge- shaped slices, each ¼ -1/2 inch, Set Aside. Mix the breadcrumbs and thyme together on a plate and beat the egg in soup plate.
- Dip the cheese wedges, one by one, first in egg, then in breadcrumbs, patting them all over.
- Heat ¼ inch of oil in heavy bottom skillet over medium high, about 40 seconds. Add the cheese wedges and cook for about 30 seconds on each side until golden brown and crisp. Work in batches. If necessary. To avoid overcrowding the skillet.
- As each wedge is cooked, remove it from the skillet, and drain on paper towels. Let cool slightly,
- Plan to serve the appetizer within a few minutes of frying.
- Serve with a Spicy Tomato Sauce or Garlic Aioli Sauce