Recipe: Roasted Fennel Salad with Pumpkin Orange Vinaigrette
Sunstone 2019 Sauvignon Blanc
- Sugar Pumpkin or Delicata Squash; peeled, seeded, cut inch pieces (1- lbs)
- Fennel Bulbs, halved lengthwise, cored, and reserved fronds thinly sliced and chopped (2- Lbs)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2-Tbls)
- Kosher Salt and ground pepper
- Cloves (2)
- Cinnamon Stick (1/4)
- Black Peppercorns (1/4- tsp)
- Brown Mustard Seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Whole Star Anise (1)
- Orange Juice (1 cup)
- Ginger- peeled, finely chopped (1 Tbls)
- Juice; 1- Lime or ½- Lemon
- Whole Milk Yogurt (1/3 cup)
- Chaat Masala (1- tsp)
- Bitter Greens: Arugula, Endive- shredded, or Watercress
- Course Salt- Maldon
- Pre-heat Oven to 400f.
- Put the pumpkin on parchment lined baking sheet. Toss fennel slices with the olive oil in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the fennel on another parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast the pumpkin and fennel in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes, until fennel is tender but still firm.
- Remove fennel and continue roasting the pumpkin for another 5 minutes, until tender.
- Remove the pumpkin and let cool to room temperature.
- Finely grind the cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, mustard seed and star anise in an electric coffee/ spice grinder.
- Put the orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over moderately high heat until reduced to ½ cup, 3-5 minutes.
- Puree the roasted pumpkin, ginger, reduce orange juice, and lime/lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Gradually, add yogurt while pureeing the puree too blend.
- Transfer the puree to a medium bowl and stir in the ground spices.
- Put the roasted fennel in another medium bowl and stir in the chaat masala . Add the pumpkin orange vinaigrette and season with pepper. Serve the fennel over the greens and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.