- UNSALTED BUTTER (2-TBLS), PLUS ½ CUP
- GRANNY SMITH APPLES (3)
- SHALLOTS, CORSE CHOP (3)
- CELERY STALK, FINELY MINCED, (1-TBLS)
- FRESH THYME, MINCED (1-TBLS)
- BAY LEAF (1)
- BLUE CHEESE, CRUMBLED (4- OUNCES)
- ROASTING CHICKEN. (5-LBS)
- OLIVE OIL (1-TBLS)
- PREHEAT OVEN In a large skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add the apples, shallots, celery, and thyme and sauté for 7-8 minutes or until browned (this is to intensify the flavor; try not to mash the apples. Transfer to a bowl and add the bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and blue cheese together.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken across the breast, beginning at the back of the bird, by inserting a finger under the skin and then running it back and forth, side to side, then forward. Make a small cut in the skin at the end of each leg and run finger around the meat.
- Take chunks of butter/cheese mixture and insert it under the skin. Knead the mixture forward by rubbing the skin until there is a layer of mixture across the breast and thigh meat (don’t worry it it’s a bit lumpy- it’ll melt down into the meat).
- Whisk the olive oil with a little of the remaining butter mixture and run it into the outside of the skin across the breast and top of the thigh. Stuff the bird with the apple mixture and tie the legs together with cotton twine.
- Put the chicken on its side on a rack in a baking dish, roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Turn onto its other side, baste, and roast 20 minutes longer. Turn the chicken breast side up, baste, and roast for another 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375f, baste and roast for about 15 more minutes, or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced.
- Turn oven off, Remove the chicken from oven and place it, breast side down, on a platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and return to oven, but leave the door partly open (this allows the meat to rest and firm up and the juices to flow around it). Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carve by removing the entire half breast from each side and cutting it into lengthwise slices so that everyone gets some crispy skin. Carve off the legs. Return the sliced meat and legs to the warm platter and serve.